Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing #12 -- Social Media Sites

So much information, so little time! Sometimes I just want to get away from the computer, and reading the print Star Tribune in the mornings is one of those times. I try to keep up with what's happening locally and nationally. Other media sources I use are online--I receive a daily email from the New York Times, which I can tailor to specific types of content that interest me. I also subscribe to the Village Voice by email.

It was interesting to look at the 4 social media sites, but I can't see myself going back to any of them. There's just too much stuff, and too much work to separate the fluff or the junk from what's worthwhile. I found Digg and Reddit especially hard with their undifferentiated lists of stories. Mixx at least breaks the lists up visually with headings or horizontal rules. Newsvine offers the ability to customize the view by rearranging chunks of content on the page, but that's still not enough for me to make it a habit.

I think regarding this Thing I'll stick with my more Luddite ways.

No comments: