Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing #7 -- Web Communication Tools

Regarding email: one tip I received from a colleague is to not check email first thing in the morning each day. Her reasoning was that you already know what you need to get done first each day, and checking email can distract you from doing it. Get the priority done first, and then look. I'll admit I don't always follow this. Usually I'll open my email right away and glance through the new messages for any that need immediate attention (with fairly strict criteria for those). Everything else I leave until later in the day. One other thing that helps is filters, and even separate email addresses (I have several accounts) for things like listserv messages. Then they're not cluttering up my work inbox, and I can get to them when I have time.

Creating a set of mail templates sounds useful, and my email program provides the ability. I haven't really made use of it yet, although I've played around some. Mostly if I think I may want to reuse the text of a message later I keep it in my "Sent" folder to cut and paste later. I'll admit this isn't terrible efficient!

My library has been providing IM reference for about a year and a half now, using Trillian, which, like Meebo, allows us to consolidate several IM accounts into one. It doesn't get a whole lot of use, and we plan on making the service more visible on our web site to improve this. One of the problems is remembering to log on to Trillian when we begin our reference shift. I'm a heavy IM user, in both my work and personal life, so it's not a problem for me. Other librarians aren't in the habit so much. Due to the low use, I haven't found it a problem to be monitoring our IM accounts while at the reference desk. Students usually understand when I tell them I'm helping someone else online. Plus, depending on the nature of the questions, sometimes it's possible to help both simultaneously.

I'm aware that some libraries provide online reference via SMS as well, and I'm sure it would be useful for our students--judging by the numbers of them seen texting around campus (and even sometimes in library instruction sessions). We haven't yet explored what the technical requirements are to make it possible, however.

For the most part I've found web conferencing beneficial, although technically trying at times. I've "attended" a few different Minitex webinars, the first over 5 years ago and the most recent last month, as well as one from OCLC. In addition I've attended web conferences from the Library of Congress and The Blended Librarian. All of these have primarily been informational presentations, with little to no interaction between presenter and attendees outside of a Q&A period at the end. Still, it's a way to get valuable information without having to physically gather in one place.

1 comment:

23 Things said...

Good email tips! Hope you plan on keeping on with the Things!