Friday, March 14, 2008

Thing #3 -- RSS

I began subscribing to RSS feeds a couple years ago, using the Sage extension for Firefox. I like having my feeds available as a sidebar in my browser, but have found myself going through stages. Sometimes I'm really involved in keeping up with the various feeds I track, and at other times I just mark items unread without actually reading them. It depends on the amount of time I have. I find myself going though these cycles with my email listservs as well.

I've been happy using Sage, but decided to try one of the feed readers mentioned in Thing #3. I went with Google Reader since I already use several other of Google's services, and this way I didn't have to create yet another account. I added my current feeds to Google Reader and took the opportunity to browse around for some new ones I might be interested in, which I added to both readers. Google Reader has some nice features that aren't available with Sage, such as being able to "star" items of interest. However, I think for my day-to-day (really week-to-week I guess) reading I'll stick with Sage. Except now I have the option if I see something I want to hang onto of going into Google Reader to star it, and using Google to manage those items.

No comments: