Friday, June 19, 2009

Thing #43 -- Online TV and Video

For me, this Thing pointed out the dangers of getting involved with something new too early. I found out about Joost when it first came out, about 2 1/2 years ago, and thought it was a great idea. I eagerly went to the web site, only to discover that there really were very few shows available, and not any that interested me. I left the site disillusioned and promptly forgot about Joost until this Thing. Now, of course, there's lots of content available. As someone who doesn't have cable I like being able to watch The Colbert Report online. And as someone without a Tivo or other recording device, it's nice to be able to see shows I miss or can't stay up for (like Letterman).

Another site I've used is tv.com, which doesn't have many full episodes compared to Joost, but does have behind the scenes interviews and features. I've also used iTunes to get TV show podcasts.

My favorite on-demand viewing experience has to be Netflix. Ever since they added Mac support for their watch instantly videos I've been using it a lot. I only have the one at a time plan, so it's great if I want to watch a movie in between DVDs. For TV shows, it's nice being able to watch one episode at a time without tying up my queue. I haven't had any problems with streaming quality or buffering, and by hooking my laptop up to the TV I can watch on a large screen.

No comments: