Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #40 -- Mashup the Web

I'm always on the lookout for any tools that can keep me up-to-date on current issues and trends, without requiring a whole lot of web surfing or feed reading. So LibWorm interests me. I created a couple of search feeds using it, which I added to Google Reader. We'll see if this seems to work better than following individual feeds.

Just for fun I played around with Walk Score -- my current neighborhood is 62 out of 100, somewhat walkable. Then I tried an old address from when I lived in Uptown, Minneapolis, and it scored 92, Walker's Paradise. Guess that's how I survived living there when I didn't own a car. I also looked at Wheel of Lunch, which is very similar to Urbanspoon. I have the Urbanspoon app on my iPod, and below is the widget they make available for the Twin Cities.

Twin Cities restaurants on Urbanspoon


When I first went to Dapper it seemed like it was geared for commercial business, but after a bit of browsing around I discovered their "open" site. I created a few feed tools and widgets, and can see there could be a use for these on my library's site. I'll have to come back later and explore it some more.

No comments: