Friday, March 13, 2009

Thing #27 -- Twitter

I'd heard of Twitter before, but didn't know much about it before this Thing. I did join, and choose a few people (or organizations) to follow. These are primarily for news (NPR, Star Tribune) or fun (James Lileks, The Onion) or MPR's Bob Collins who is both. I also added mnmorethings. If Twitter is at all useful to me, and I'm not convinced that it is, it will be for doing this kind of following. Very few of my friends or colleagues are on Twitter, so it doesn't work as a method to communicate with them. Since most of them are on Facebook that will probably remain the main way I connect with them online.

Since the ACRL conference is going on now, I wondered if following ACRL or tweets that have the #acrl2009 hashtag would be worthwhile. There are many people using Twitter to live blog ACRL sessions, and I could kind of follow what was going on, especially if I concentrated on just one or two people. I'll have to stick with it a bit longer to see if I learn anything useful, however.

As far as library uses for Twitter go, I don't see an application for them at my library yet. We've been talking about a library blog, or other more social ways to share library news, but haven't done anything except a Facebook page. Once we get our blog going perhaps we'll look into using Twitter to help spread our news.

I thought this would be a good post to share a video I came across several weeks ago. It's John Cleese's Twitter--The Movie from his blog, Cleeseblog.com.

1 comment:

Lydia Schultz said...

I LOVE this video. Thanks so much for the fun inclusion.

I find twittering a bit much as well. One of my friends said that it was just like the status on Facebook, and she couldn't see the point in doing it in more than one place. I am finding it okay for work stuff, but none of my friends are interested either.